Indian summer drinks – Cooling beverages, Drinks, Juices, Sherbets
1. Nimbu Pani (indian lemonade) – this is the cheapest and might be the most used summer drink in india. you can add flavor to it by adding mint juice, roasted cumin powder, black salt or make it sweet – shikanji or have it salty. some people also like to add ginger juice but then ginger is heaty. in the western india, this is called as nimbu pani and in north india, its called as shikanji.
2. Tender Coconut Water – if you are staying in a place where fresh coconut water is available easily in summers then you are simply blessed. it is one of the best and the healthiest option to beat summer heat.
3. JalJeera – its a spiced indian cooling drink also used as an appetizer or just as a drink. quite famous in north india.
4. Sweet Lassi – made from yogurt and very famous in north india. you can make it salty or sweet. you can flavor it with cardamom powder, rose water and saffron. few other variations of lassi are masala lassi, strawberry lassi and mango lassi.
5. Buttermilk or Chaas – made using yogurt. popular in the whole of india. you can flavor it with mint, ginger, cumin powder or curry leaves and even do an oil tempering with herbs and spices. another variation is this mint chaas.
6. Rooh Afza – it is a sweet rose scented healthy syrup that is made with fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and roots. you can add it to milk, kulfi, falooda, ice cream, phirni or have it simply with plain water.
7. Aam Ka Panna – it is made using raw mangoes. helps in preventing heat strokes and keep the body cool. raw mangoes are rich in vitamin c and iron.
8. Piyush – this is a smooth and creamy beverage popular in the maharashtrian and gujarati cuisine of western india. piyush is a bit similar to the popular beverage lassi. but in comparison, piyush is thick, creamy and sweeter than lassi.